Becoming a licensed driver is a milestone that every teenager eagerly anticipates. This is an exciting time for parents, too. After all, there is nothing better than seeing your teen experience new things and take on more responsibilities.
But of course, the thought of your teen getting behind the wheel of a car might be nerve-wracking as well. Parents are experienced drivers, so they know far too well about the dangers that their teens will face on the road.
This is certainly a cause for concern, but fortunately, a parent-teen driving contract can help parents get peace of mind.
The Benefits of Signing A Parent-Teen Driving Contract
Signing a driving contract may seem over-the-top, but it can benefit both parents and teens by:
- Starting the Conversation
- Helping Parents and Teens Avoid Arguments
- Holding Both Parties Accountable
Starting the Conversation
Asking your teenager to sign this contract is the perfect way to start a conversation about safe driving. This conversation will open the door so you can continue to communicate with your teen about staying safe on the road.
Helping Parents and Teens Avoid Arguments
Having a contract will also help parents and teens avoid arguments in the future. This contract clearly outlines your expectations and the penalties that your teen could face for failing to live up to them. It’s all in writing. This means if your teens violate the contract, there’s no way for them to argue that they didn’t realize they were breaking the rules.
They also can’t argue that the punishment doesn’t fit their crime since they signed off on the contract, which clearly outlines the penalties they will face for breaking the rules.
Holding Both Parties Accountable
Teens aren’t the only ones who are agreeing to abide by certain rules by signing this contract. Some of the terms of the agreement apply solely to parents.
These terms are designed to hold parents accountable and ensure that they play a role in helping their teens become safe drivers. Because ultimately, teens will not learn how to drive responsibly unless their parents are good teachers.
Let the Contract Symbolize A Promise
Don’t think of this as a formal contract; you can’t take each other to court for violating one of the rules. Instead, think of this agreement as a promise that you and your teen must keep to one another.
By keeping this promise, you and your teen can strengthen your relationship, support one another, and most importantly, stay safe on the road!
Printable Teen-Parent Driving Contract
I, ______ agree to obey the following rules:
Obeying the Law
I understand that being a responsible driver means obeying the law.
- Always buckle my seatbelt.
- Wear my seatbelt in the proper position.
- Make sure my passengers are wearing their seatbelts before starting the car.
- Obey all traffic laws.
- Contact my parents for a ride if I am under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Use turning signals when appropriate.
- Use headlights when appropriate.
I will not:
- Drive over the speed limit.
- Drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Get into a car with a driver who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Ignore traffic lights, stop signs or other road markings.
- Allow passengers in my car if they have alcohol, drugs, or other illegal items.
- Drive fast when in a hurry to get home.
I am aware of the dangers of distracted driving and pledge to stay alert when behind the wheel.
- Focus solely on the road and my surroundings.
- Drive only when I am capable of staying alert.
- Always keep my hands on the steering wheel .
- Pay attention to other drivers, bicyclists, motorcyclists, and pedestrians around me.
- Make sure that nothing is distracting the driver while I am a passenger.
I will not:
- Look at or use my phone for any purpose while driving.
- Adjust the radio or change the music while driving.
- Eat, put on make-up, or engage in other distracting activities behind the wheel.
- Daydream or zone out while operating my car.
- Drive when tired.
- Drive when upset or angry.
- Allow my passengers to distract me while I am driving.
- Reach for items in the front seat, backseat, or any other area of the vehicle.
I know the importance of respecting my parents’ rules and taking responsibility for my actions.
- Help my parents pay for gas and routine maintenance for my vehicle.
- Tell my parents if I experience any issues with my vehicle.
- Follow my parents’ rules regarding when and where I can drive.
- Tell my parents if I receive a parking or traffic ticket.
- Always keep the car clean.
- Remain calm when behind the wheel.
- Make sure the mirror and seat are properly positioned before driving.
- Use my car to run errands, transport family members, or perform any other tasks at my parents’ request.
- Turn off all lights and lock the doors when I leave my car.
I will not:
- Allow my driving privileges to interfere with my other responsibilities.
- Drive someone else’s car without permission from my parents.
- Drive the car when I am not supposed to.
- Let anyone else drive my car without my parents’ permission.
- Allow my passengers to smoke in my car.
- Put decals or bumper stickers on my vehicle without obtaining permission.
I acknowledge that failing to comply with the rules in this contract will lead to consequences, including the loss of driving privileges.
Speeding ticket/Moving violation
Driving the vehicle past curfew
Having too many passengers in the vehicle
Not wearing a seatbelt
Allowing someone else to drive the vehicle
Failing to properly maintain the vehicle
Driving while distracted
Driving the car while intoxicated
Other violations: _____
Length of Driving Suspension:
If I violate the terms of the contract, I will lose my driving privileges. In the event this happens, I agree to give the keys to my car to my parents immediately. I also agree to refrain from using the vehicle until I have regained my driving privileges.
As the parent/guardian of __________, I pledge to:
- Ensure your vehicle is safe to drive.
- Cover the cost of driving courses and other tools you need to drive safely.
- Help you gain more driving experience.
- Provide calm, clear and constructive feedback on your driving when riding with you.
- Help you fulfill the legal requirements for new drivers.
Be a good role model by practicing safe driving.
By signing below, I agree to keep these promises to ______.
By signing below, I agree to follow the rules and accept the penalties outlined in this contract.
- Car title loans online
- Refinance Title Loan
- Get Your Quote Today
- California Car Title Loans
- Georgia Car Title Loans
- How Car Title Loans Work?
- Pink Slip Loans
- Can I Get a Title Loan with an Old Car?
- Sacramento Car Title Loan
- Title Loans ins St Louis
- Fresno Car Title Loans
- Our Community Service
- Arizona Car Title Loans
- Payday Loans vs Title Loans
- Title Loan Options
- How Title Loans Improve your Credit?
- Prestamos Sobre Titulo de Auto
- RV Title Loans
- Salt Lake City Car Title Loans
- Bakersfield Car Title Loans
- Idaho Car Title Loans
- WCC Teams Up with Moneygram
- Our Programs